Cricket Club celebrated it’s 150th Anniversary in
2001, with a match against an MCC XI and also a splendid
Anniversary Dinner and Dance, which was held in a large marquee
on the club’s ground, and attended by 365 past, present
members and guests.
Thirsk team who played the MCC
Row (L - R) M E Gear, B D Petty, P H Marwood, G R Palliser, D S
Row (L - R) N C Stephenson, M C Cressey, D I Greenlay, D C
Wyrill, J W Cook, M Wainwright
Thirsk club who were founder members of the York and District
League in which we still play today, first played on a ground on
York Road and moved to the present ground inside the racecourse
around 1860. A new brick pavilion, built at a cost of £200 in
1907 by JD Ruecroft & Son, was regarded as a considerable
facility in those days. It was re-roofed in 1966 by Pat Ruecroft,
the grandson of the builder. The pavilion was demolished in 1985
to make way for a new clubhouse facility.
old Pavilion, 1907
New Club House proudly standing infront of the square, erected
inaugural match at York Road was played against an England XI,
and there have been two all England matches played at the
current ground, but there are references to an even earlier
match played in the town.
club chairman ER Jackson reported the words of Major Peter Bell
when he officially opened the new pavilion in 1907. Mr Jackson
wrote: The first history they had of cricket being played
in Thirsk was of a match played, he believed, on the Topcliffe
road between 11 of Sheffield and 22 of Yorkshire. It was for £100
a side and the betting was three to one on Sheffield.
Yorkshire won and among the 22 were five Thirsk men, the others
coming from Bedale, Wetherby, Knaresborough and Ripon. His
notes provide further insights into how the game was played in
the 19th century.
TAC letterhead and part of the surviving letter
his report of Maj Bell’s speech, Mr Jackson also wrote: “In
those days we had some good players in the club. He did not mean
to say that Thirsk was better than any other club, but they
could certainly boast of having certain men who made their mark.
There were Roger Iddison and George Freeman, the latter of whom
was at Thirsk as a resident.
The only disadvantage about his playing was that when
they knew he was in the team opposing clubs always brought a
strong team, and if business prevented his playing, then it was
sometimes bad for Thirsk.
CRICKET TEAM 1891
Row (L - R) F R Hansell (capt), H Perason, T Gunson, R Bell, G
Ayre, W Wm Hall (sec), J Wright (Caterer)
Row (L - R) W Macaulay, T S Wheater, Wm J Horner, E B Peat
Row (L - R) H Horner, R Bolton, C Macaulay
played for Yorkshire from 1865-1881 and appeared for England in
1868. Other famous Thirsk players include GG Macauley who
represented Yorkshire from 1920-1933, and the former Yorkshire
CCC secretary Joe Lister.
the 17th August 1947 an augmented Thirsk team played
a match against Herbert Sutcliffe’s XI, the Sutcliffe team
included Yorkshire and England legends Herbert Sutcliffe
himself, Maurice Leyland and Arthur Mitchell.
Sutcliffe XI and the Thirsk XI pictured infront of the pavilion,
Captain Colin Dales tosses the coin as Herbert Sutcliffe calls
July 1955, the MCC presented Thirsk CC with a plaque to
commemorate the bi-centenary of Thomas Lord, who was born in the
town in 1755 and established the world famous Lords cricket
ground in Dorset Square, St Marylebone.
the playing side, Thirsk won the North and East Ridings
Challenge Cup in 1891. Thirsk’s most successful era was in the
1920s, when they were league champions, no less than six times.
They also took the title in 1932 and 1938, but have not finished
top since then. The early 1990s saw the club hit its lowest
point culminating in relegation to the old Y&DSCL third
division in 1992. Fortunes have gradually been restored since
then, and it has generally been an upward curve for the club
throughout the late 1990s and early 2000s.
CC have had some wonderful players at various times throughout
their long history, far too many to mention here, this page is
dedicated to their performances and achievements. There, have
been some excellent performances by individual players in recent
years. Des Wyrill holds the premier division record for the best
batting average, his 112.80 earning him the cup, which boasts
his name in 1999. The Alan Shipley (Secretary’s) cup, the
leagues bowling award was won by Martin Shepherdson in 1997 and
has been lifted by Barry Petty for the last three seasons. Petty
has set a new premier division record for the most wickets taken
in a season every year since Thirsk were promoted to the top
flight in 1998. He picked up 55 that year, 79 in 1999 and a
magnificent 84 in 2000.